Sometimes finding the serial number on a Windows PC can be a challenge, especially if the computer is located in a dark corner under a desk or in a dusty location. There is an easier way.
For Windows 7:
- Click on the Windows start orb (formerly the start button)
- In the window that says Search programs and files, type cmd and press Enter
- Type “wmic bios get serialnumber”
- Note the serial number that displays
- Type exit to close the command window
You can also type “wmic csproduct get name” to retrieve the computer model
Manufacturers embed this information into the computer motherboard. These commands simply retrieve that information.