This is a popular request from our academic customers – How can we restrict student email accounts so they cannot send or receive outside of the organization? Here are the steps we use for Google Apps:
How to Restrict Email Delivery in Google Apps
Note: Similar to other email security settings, the email delivery restrictions apply to all users in the organizational unit. Users in child organizations inherit the restrictions.
- Sign in to the Google Admin console.
- From the dashboard, go to Apps > Google Apps > Gmail > Advanced settings.
- In the Organizations section on the left, highlight your domain or the organizational unit for which you want to configure settings
- Scroll down to the Restrict delivery section
- On the right hand side of Restrict Delivery, click Configure
- Under the Restrict Delivery heading, enter a description such as “Allow Internal Messages Only”
- 7. Under Add Addresses or domains you want to allow, click Use Existing or create a new one
- Create new list
- Enter a name like “StGermain School Only”
10. Click Edit
11. Click Add
12. Enter your domain name
13. Under 2. All messages to or from other addresses….Edit the default rejection notice, enter a message (optional) such as “External Email is not allowed”
14. Click Save
15. Click Save Changes in the lower right
16. Test by:
- Sending a message from an internal mailbox to another internal mailbox (this should work)
- Sending a message from an internal mailbox to an external mailbox (this should NOT work)
- Sending a message from an External mailbox to an internal mailbox (this should NOT work)